Sunday, August 14, 2011

Awakening - Tales of Jacob Moran

 Jacob awoke in a foreign room, in a foreign medical bed. His clouded mind wondered how long he had been under an artificial coma. He stretched his limbs and immediately recoiled at the pain of doing so. The pain reminded him that it was reality and not a dream where he was tactically neutralized by a prototype that would only exist by illegal means. He lifted his left arm to examine a gunshot wound where a round drove itself between his middle and trigger fingers within his palm. He was amazed at how accurate the device was. He had no doubt the wounds in his thighs broke both femurs.  
 "Oh! I didn't expect you to be awake this soon."
 Jake turned his head to the sound of the voice and saw a young, intelligent looking girl with black hair and pale skin deactivating a holo-pad. Still dazed, he simply studied her as well as the very comfortable, almost homelike room he found himself in. He noticed that although he was on a medical bed, the room he was in resembled a fine living module. 
 "Well, um, welcome to Phoenix Medical Pacific. My name is Aimee and will be your assistant during your time here. On you personal display you can follow a tour of-"
 "Hold on...Aimee...I've been...what is the date?"
 "Uh, February third, two thousand ninety three...why do you ask?"
 Jacob thought for a moment, moving the fingers on his left hand as he counted.
 "I have been unconscious for almost a week...except for...nevermind. Aimee, I am still under a huge amount of drugs. I'd really like to have a couple hours before we get to what you're supposed to tell me about this."
 "Yes that's fine! I'm still working on a lot of data, you're really something else."
 "Something else is right! "Jacob thought to himself. "They really have no idea what they're dealing with." Jacob retraced his last moments of consciousness to himself in his mind. "The sewing needle, that shouldn't have existed, that neutralized me, killed all the other members of the team except...Thomas! That's right! There was a white flash and there was Tommy running then...it went black. After that...the interrogation. Stupid prick thought I was a product of Phoenix. We 'shook hands' and now...they are gonna try to figure me out and fail miserably for years until...oh great! Now I don't know who knows who, what, and where I am! There's gonna be assassination attempts sooner than I'd like."
 Jake looked over towards Aimee. She looked very busy processing information. Jacob definitely is more than a handful to work with. Jake took to the personal holo-pad mounted to the bed he was on. It was programmed for patients and was therefore rather limited. Internet access, Phoenix Medical Pacific, Rising up stronger, media, information. Curiosity lead Jacob to "Rising up stronger." It was his "roadmap to recovery." Jacob then remembered that Phoenix's slogan was "Rise up stronger." Jake examined the medical report. Just as he suspected, three gunshot wounds. One to his hand, and the other two broke his thigh bones. Jacob cursed the abilities of the amazing "sewing needle" which is solely developed and is only supposed to be property of NGMC. 
 "Aimee, there aren't any estimated recovery times for the gunshot wounds, did I just arrive here?"
 "Well, no, you've been here for about three days while we've been running tests and normally we would have a recovery time, but your body isn't like anything anyone has ever seen, so we really don't know. All we do know is that you will recover as least twice as fast as any regular human."
 "Not surprised, so once I can walk will I have the freedom of going out to the island?" 
 "We're still deciding on how to work out keeping you secret, but also able to live a little, sorry about that." 
 "Still not surprised, so what's the plan? Do fluid and tissue sample testing 'til I can run, then comes performance testing, as well as analyzing everything 'til you all give up?" 
 "You're big news to medical science, but not impossible, everything is possible, and yes, we look forward to performance testing. I really wish you weren't shot...there isn't any chance you can tell me why, is there?"
 "Haha! Ow!" Jake flinched as his laughing tripped the nerves of his legs. "C'mon now they didn't tell you? I mean it's obvious that this is all a top secret project, and the jerk who interrogated me already told me I don't exist, c'mon you know that much don't you?"
 "I was told that you were a specimen to be researched. You were delivered by Phoenix Combat. I am part of the research team and at this point will be the only one you have contact with. All I know about you is that you're something entirely new to medical science and our job is to unlock the secrets in your strange DNA. I really don't know where you came from."
 "Huh, well there hasn't been anyone who popped in saying you can't know, especially since I don't exist. I am a soldier for NGMC. Lambda thirteen was the team that was on a information retrieval mission in a research base in Antarctica belonging to Phoenix. We Secured what we needed and there wasn't any signal of power in the entire facility. On our way out a ceiling mounted sewing needle popped open and fired as they are programmed. I was neutralized for information retrieval and the rest of the team was killed by headshots. There was an electrical discharge and that's the last thing I remember until finding myself in custody of Phoenix Combat. That sewing needle wasn't normal...the only thing that makes sense is if it was  also powered by biomechanics like other Phoenix Robotics products. Which was also illegal!...anyway I just said way too much. So what makes me so puzzling to the medical world?" 
 "Hold on! You're a soldier!? For NGMC!? Do you have any idea what kind of risk you're taking being a hired gun with the impossible body you have!? You're taking all that for granted!? You!...what is wrong with you!?"
 "I'm perfectly fine, and I don't need the lecture. Now the question I asked was what makes me so puzzling to the medical world?"
 "You're...a beautiful freak, to put it simply. After getting only a handful of results back a lot of things didn't add up. We tested to see how old you are but I don't know if that answered more questions than it raised. All the results say you're almost eighty years old but that's-"
 "Pretty close."

2 comments:

  1. This is a flash fiction of something obviously bigger. Please excuse the fast-paced b-grade dialogue.

    ReplyDelete