Sunday, August 28, 2011

Rainy Nightmare

     As I jumped down from the fence I came down to my knees which sank into the mud a little. I got up and looked towards Annie and moved my hand to beckon her down.
     "Keep on your feet when you get down, it's slippery." She descended and her feet slipped as they met the ground. Out arms met and gripped one another for stability. 
     "Alright, gotta keep on goin'." I told her as I looked ahead and was glad to see there was some lighting to get us through the darkness along the side of the building. We walked down trying to stay quiet as to not be heard and to listen for anyone else. We went inside the first opening into one of the warehouses we could find. After climbing through the window, we found ourselves in a small room with a desk in the middle. Light was coming from somewhere past the doorway of the room.
     I whispered to Annie that I would take a look to see who was there, but wouldn't walk away. She agreed and sat down in a corner. I put my head past the doorframe and looked around to see a single hispanic thug sitting in a chair and looking around, somewhat bored. He looked at me and I froze. He squinted down the hallway. 
     "Hey! Don't move!" he shouted as he raised a pistol and walked toward me. I let one foot out the room and put my open hands where he could see I was unarmed. I looked at Annie who's face bore fear as she stared at me.
     "Who's with you!?" The man demanded as he pushed me into the room with his unarmed hand. 
     "Just me." Annie spoke up as she stood up in fear. Both of us had the idea not to cause any more trouble than was already going on. All we wanted was to get out of here. He studied both of us for a moment then put the gun to his side. 
     "Alright, follow me." he told us as he walked back towards where the light come from. We followed him past where he was sitting and over to where most of his gang was. The gang members spoke to each other in spanish. They gestured towards us and outside the building occasionally. I leaned up against a stack of wooden boxes near the loading bay door. 
    The steel retractable door banged and rattled when something from the other side struck it. Annie and I hid behind the boxes for cover. I saw the gangsters raise their guns and one of them pressed a button to partially raise the door. They all opened fire. All I heard was gunfire and shouting. It all stopped suddenly, but the gang members kept their guns trained on what they were firing at for some time. One of them spoke to another in spanish. Two went to investigate what they were shooting at. The same one who first found us came over and took me by the wrist and walked me to the rest of the group, Annie followed. I glanced at what the other two were doing and saw them dragging a black furred creature by the hind legs. The one who pulled me over turned my arms over to look at them and showed them to the others. Then did the same to Annie. He pointed at a dull mark on her inner right forearm and spoke to the others of the group in spanish. They looked at the mark with wide eyes.
     "You gotta keep goin'. You need to get there." The one who exposed Annie's mark told us. "You want this." He told me as he put his pistol into my hand. Another surrendered his pistol to Annie, who thanked him. 
     "Thanks, we'll be going." I told them. They wished us luck, then regrouped to investigate the thing that was now dead. We left out a door opposite the door where the firefight broke out. The rain was letting up. We walked up to a grassy field to the side of the warehouses. The moonlight let us see that we could keep on this grassy area rather than the mud. We liked the ability of being able to see around us more than the lack of mud, so we preferred it for two reasons. We kept walking in the fields for a couple hours until we came by an old farmhouse by an old road. We saw a light inside that seemed to flicker when we saw it from a distance. 
     When we came closer we saw that there was a lantern on a table and a person moving around inside. The person inside cast his shadow on the window as he past. He didn't seem right. We stood and watched for some time. The man was shivering, scratching himself, and twitching. 
     "let's keep going." I urged Annie as I stepped onward. She hesitated, intrigued by the man in the shack. A loud noise came from the man in the shack. It made us shudder. It wasn't a yelp, howl, growl, screech, or anything one would expect. If anything it was like a raspy and threatening belch. We darted away then stopped at the sound of breaking glass. The man, or what was the man, was hanging out the window on it's torso. It's dark face was looking at us with bared teeth. We raised our gifted pistols and opened fire. I fired out of fear until the rounds were spent. Then ran before knowing if the beast was living or not. Annie was sprinting at my side. She slipped on the wet grass. 
     "No!" I yelled out in fear as I went down to lift her up. 
     "Sorry, I'm okay, let's keep going!" she told me between hurried breaths. I looked back and saw the old house in the distance with the thing still hanging out the window, it was limp. 
     "Look, it's not going to chase us. We're okay." I told her and pointed at the shack. 
     "I wanna get out of here!" Annie whimpered and I took her in my arm and walked through the field. She shivered with anxiety from everything that was happening.
     "We're going to make it out of here. I know it." I told her. I told myself "We have to." Both of us kept going on in the field. It seemed longer and farther. I wondered if this nightmare would end. Would we escape? Can we keep going? 

No comments:

Post a Comment